Times have changed however. The Sengir Vampire would not make it into any self respecting vampire deck, and definitely not into the top 10 vampire cards of all time. That being said the forth-coming Magic2013 set is seeing the return of one of the all time top vampire cards --- the Vampire Nocturnus. I am looking forward to this as it should reduce the price of the existing card (currently $14-$25 US) and make it slightly more accessible.
Here is my list of Top 10 Vampire Cards:
- Ascendant Evincar While this guy is a little on the expensive side at 6 mana and is only a 3/3 flyer himself it's his other abilities that make him shine. Giving all black creatures +1/+1 and other non-black creatures -1/-1 gives him a space in a mono-black agro deck. Just remember to sideboard him out if your oponent is playing black.
- Bloodghast The vampire that keeps on giving. You can get this guy out early and bring him right back from the grave on every subsequent land drop. While only a 2/1 creature if you are running 4 of these and other cards that increase the power and toughness of vampires it does not take long for these guys to become a real headache.
- Bloodline Keeper One of the best new vampires in my opinion. 4 mana for a 3/3 Flyer is not expensive in the first place, but add in the ability to tap to create an additional 2/2 Flying vampire token, and the ability to transform into the Lord of Lineage when you have 5 more vampires in play makes this guy great.
- Kalastria Highborn Two mana for a 2/2 is not amazing, but the ability to play for a 2 point drain life when ever a vampire of yours is killed makes this card special.
- Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet A repeatable ability to kill any creature for is nice, but getting a black token of the same strength and power at the same time is just brutal.
- Mirri the Cursed Cheaper & weaker than the old Sengir Vampire, but coming with the added abilities of Haste Fisrt Strike, and a easier method of growing than big brother Sengir, Mirri the Cursed is pound for pound one of the best vampires in the game.
- Sangromancer Black is well known for its creature killing capabilities and its spells to make someone discard a card or two; it is not well know for healing. Well meet the Sangromancer.
- Stromkirk Captain In addition to Black, there are now also many Red vampires, so building a Red/Black vampire deck is a very real posibility. If you do then you should play 4 of these. Even in a all Black vampire deck this card is good as you can't really argue with giving your vampires +1/+1 and First strike.
- Vampire Nighthawk Another exceptional vampire card, a 2/3 flyer with deathtouch and first strike for only 3 mana could come out on the first turn with the aid of a Dark Ritual.
- Vampire Nocturnus In a mono black vampire deck this guy reigns supreme giving all your vampires flying and +2/+1 makes this guy the best.